DILAPIDATION REPORT2018-05-30T10:43:12+00:00


If you or a neighbour is ready to undertake major construction work you should obtain a Dilapidation Report. This is also known as a “Condition of Property” report.

Heavy machinery, excavation, or even the removal of trees in close proximity has the potential to cause damage to properties close by. Potential damage might include:

  • Cracked walls
  • Broken paving
  • Subsidence
  • Damaged plumbing or drainage
  • Fencing

Typically, Dilapidation reports are carried out prior to the start of any major work. Then again once the work has been completed.

A dilapidation report provides a legal record of the properties condition before construction begins. It may be requested by you, a neighbour, a property developer or a builder.

Dilapidation reports may also be a council requirement before and after certain works such as demolitions. Dilapidation reports should be carried out by licensed building inspectors.


A dilapidation report provides a detailed record of the condition of a building both before and after major construction work.

Property condition reports note any existing damage. This can be compared with the building’s condition after potentially disruptive events such as nearby construction work or construction work on your own home.

Dilapidation reports should include time-stamped photos of the property’s condition prior to the work starting. These can provide clear evidence of any damage caused by construction work.

A dilapidation report is a legal report and therefore should be done by a neutral registered professional building inspector.

A report carried out by you or a party involved in the construction process will be considered as biased and may not carry the same legal weight.


Modern construction techniques can be pretty invasive — bigger apartments and houses require deeper foundations, and heavy machinery, vibrations, and dust can cause severe damage to neighbouring properties.

It’s only fair that the person who damaged your property should pay for it but how do you prove it? Likewise, how do you defend yourself against false claims for damage that was already pre-existing?

Nothing is more frustrating than to find that the walls in your home have been cracked by neighbouring construction work and you can’t prove the cause.

On the other hand, it is also quite common for people to make false claims after construction events. In this case, a dilapidation report on neighbouring properties is your proof that the damage existed before you undertook construction work.

Dilapidation reports can be requested by you, your neighbours, or building contractors when construction work is about to commence.

They provide proof of property condition and can be used to protect you from any potential expensive litigation or damage claims and can make insurance claims much easier to settle.

In fact, you can think of your dilapidation report as a type of insurance.

Your house represents an enormous investment and you need to make sure you’re covered.

Dilapidation (condition) reports typically cost less than $400, that’s a pretty good price for real peace of mind.


When you need to get serious about protecting your investment you need to get the professionals.

Pro Property Dilapidation Reports are carried out by an experienced professional. Building Inspector and provide a written and photographic record of the property condition.

Pro Property Building inspectors are licensed to perform these inspections and have fully current NSW Building and Building supervisor Licenses.

Our inspectors are fully insured with public liability and professional indemnity insurance for your peace of mind.

Our Building Inspectors cover all areas of the Central Coast, Hunter Valley and Newcastle.


I would like to inform you of a very positive customer experience I had with David and Barbara.

The level of customer service that was provided by both was excellent and their flexibility in regards to the appointment of the building pest inspection was great.

David had an extensive knowledge of buildings was friendly and easy to understand when talking about the results of my building / pest inspection.

Scott, Umina Beach


  • Gosford
  • Wyong
  • Woy Woy
  • Terrigal
  • Erina
  • East Gosford
  • Toukley
  • The Entrance
  • Budgewoi
  • Warnervale
  • Ourimbah
  • Narara
  • Gorokan
  • Woongarrah
  • Hamlyn Terrace
  • Waldalba


  • Newcastle
  • Warners Bay
  • Swansea
  • Caves Beach
  • Toronto
  • Medowie
  • Cessnock
  • Kurri Kurri
  • Maitland
  • Charlestown
  • Morriset
  • Thornton

Please note: Our Building Inspectors cover all areas of the Central Coast, Hunter Valley and Newcastle. If you don’t see your suburb listed that’s only because we haven’t listed every suburb on this page.

Our other professional home inspection services include Pest Inspection ReportsTermite Inspections, Pre-Purchase Inspection Reports,

Our Building Inspector checking for water damage to wet area spaces

Dilapidation Report - DaveDilapidation Report - Sample Report 1Dilapidation Report - Sample Report 2

Building Inspection Profiles

As one of the most experienced building and inspection companies, Pro Property Reports provide you with expert advice and friendly service.

Our Building Inspector checking for structural integrity to roof area & spaces

Dilapidation Report - checking for structural integrity to roof area & spaces

Insist on Thermal Imaging Cameras for Your Pest & Building Inspections

Dilapidation Report - Insist on Thermal Imaging Cameras for Your Pest & Building Inspections